To backup your RefWorks account
To back up a copy of your database (including RefID numbers and folders), and custom output styles follow the steps below. Please Note - Folders that do not contain any references will not be saved. If you have empty folders that you wish to retain add a reference to the folder before backing up. Also, any preferences set in the Customize area of RefWorks will be included in the backup.
- From either the Tools or the References menu select Backup/Restore.
- Ensure Include References is selected.
- Ensure Include RSS Feeds is selected.
- Ensure all custom Output Styles are selected to backup.
- Click on Perform Backup.
- Save the file when prompted. If you are not prompted to save the file, click the option that says Click here to save your backup file to download the backup to your computer.
The default file name is a combination of your organization’s Group Code and your login name. It will be saved as a .zip or . rwb file. Please do not change the extension of the file as it is necessary to restore if you need to do so later.
Note: You cannot open the backup file. Should you want a viewable copy of your references, use the Export option.
To restore references into your RefWorks account
1. If restoring references to Legacy (Old) RefWorks follow the same points as 1-4. Then click on the 'Restore' link and click on the 'Perform Restore Button.
2. If putting references into the new RefWorks click on the 'Add' button in new RefWorks, click on 'Import References' then follow the instructions.